I can't believe that just a few years ago I hated steak. Well, I would never order it at restaurants and I definitely was not as "into food" as I am now. Growing up I always ordered the most simple things when we went out to eat. Now I'm slowly becoming more adventurous with food. Whenever I have dinner plans at a new restaurant, I would excitedly go online to see their menu and plan out everything I would be ordering. I was especially excited to try Hy's Steakhouse as I wanted to try most things on their menu. I had a hard time narrowing down what to order..and I'm happy to say that everything we ended up ordering that night exceeded my expectations.
The second floor has a nice view over the main dining area, and is available for private events.
Smoked Sockeye Salmon with capers, red onion and herbed cream cheese
Sauteed Garlic Shrimp (loved this!). The sauce is good for dipping the cheese bread too.
Roast Rack of Lamb: herb crusted with rosemary and mint sauce.
After the dinner, we decided to have dessert in their lounge area. Before I tell you about that, here's some more photos of their main dining area.
Want a peek in the kitchen?
Our desserts: an apple crumble, chocolate cake and some vanilla ice cream.
Overall, it was a wonderful dining experience and I would love to go back again. It definitely exceeded my expectations. I live very close by and Hy's only recently caught my attention. I have walked by many times before but I actually didn't know it was such a nice steakhouse. From their logo I always thought they were more like a pub style place. I found out that one of the companies I work with had shot their interiors for Google Business View. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to review it for my blog! Since it was really dark when we were there, and my photos don't do the place justice..take a virtual tour here to get a better idea of the interiors.
- Reserve booth "301"
- Have dinner in the dining area and desserts/drinks in the lounge
- The cheese toast (pre-appetizer) is a must!
- Our favourites: Garlic Shrimp (appetizer), Roast Rack of Lamb (main), Steak Neptune (main), Grilled Beefsteak Tomatoes (accompaniment), Creamed Corn (accompaniment), Apple Crumble (dessert)
What We Loved
- The atmosphere: classy, intimate, and very relaxing. Great for a romantic dinner for two or a business dinner. It is the perfect place to have a long meal.
- The lounge: live jazz music. They keep playing until the last customer leaves.
- The food: we loved every dish we ordered (except for one - see below). A few things were the best we ever tried. I normally don't like shrimp but the garlic shrimp is amazing. If you like lamb, Hy's serves one of the best in Toronto. & I would go back just to have the cheese toast!
- The servers: they were all very professional, attentive, and knowledgeable in the menu. Their communication skills with each other are excellent as well. We were served by a few different servers who knew what our preferences were without having to ask again.
- The whole restaurant is very clean. Not a speck of dust anywhere!
- The tableware: was pretty basic. Usually I like when high-end restaurants have more unique cutlery and dishware sets.
- Uniforms: I didn't like what the servers wore (white coats, shirts and black pants). Somehow it doesn't exactly match the setting.
- The Creamed Spinach: had too much cream
Hy's Steakhouse is located at 120 Adelaide Street West, and open for lunch and dinner every Monday to Saturday until 11pm (only dinner on Saturdays). To reserve, call 416.364.6600.
Their other locations across Canada include: Whistler, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa and soon - Calgary
This post archived in: Toronto